Tartan and Thistle

Monday, May 14, 2012

Matryoshka

dObraye Utra... Good Morning...


Our 13 years olds on Douglas will be going to Russia for a school Choral Tour this June. This is would be the first time he is away on his own, without his parents and I don't feel very good happy about it.  Yes, I tend to be a little over protective, but after what happened to Nayati Moodliar, a 12 years old expatriate boy who was abducted for ransom in KL, I'm happy that we are paranoid. (read One more nabbed in the kidnapping of Nayati)


Anyway, we knew nothing about Russia, so I start digging all the information about it ( my way of coping with the anxiety). We start eating Borsch and Pirogi, now I know how to make blichinki and pelmeni, and despite my children frowning face, I just kept on cooking. Luckily they love the 
My version of  Borsch, hopefully taste authentic!
Another side of Russia that I'm exploring is The Matryoshka. With my design background I always drawn to pattern, bold color and the matryoshka represent all of those. So I started to make crochet Matryoshka, blanket pouch, tumbler pouch, pencil case etc.
Meet Sitiski, my first handmade matryoshka doll
I wish I can go along with him, but I knew somehow I really have to learn to let him grow up, doing things on his own, teaching him to learn to use his instinct for his survival later on. It's very hard..but I have to. Until then I'm just gonna make more borsch and sisters for Sitiski.
Sitiski in her Batik
da svidan’ya   до свидания ....good bye..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...